Recipe: Crispy Corn Snacks with Air Fryer
My two daughters are quite a snacker, fruits and biscuits alike. So when I came across this recipe to make a delicious and somewhat healthy snack, I jumped at it. Plus it’s affordable. Most importantly, Grace (my older child) asked for more. It’s a simple recipe with two ingredients — corn kernels, and potato starch, three if you consider olive oil on the list.
Potato Starch vs Corn Starch
Cornstarch is a staple in my food cupboard but not potato starch. So can I substitute the potato starch with it? According to bobsredmill.com, these are the two common starches and can be used interchangeably in some recipes, however in other times, cornstarch might work better in certain soups, and potato starch works better at thickening dishes like macaroni and cheese.
The article also mentioned that it’s important to note that cornstarch is sensitive to extreme temperatures. Since we are going to a high temperature in the air fryer, I decided to just stick to the recipe. Moreover, potato starch is affordable and widely available, one can get a packet at S$1.50 from NTUC.
Prep and Cook Time (Serves 2)
Prep: 5-10 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes (Airfryer)
- 1 tablespoon of Potato Starch（太白粉）
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 can of corn kernels (425g)
- Instead of a can of corn kernels, you can also remove and use the kernels from fresh corn.
- Kitchen towels (to dry the corn)
- Pour away the water in the can of corn. Pat dry the corn.
- Pour the corn kernels and potato flour into a bowl.
- Mix everything and coat the corn kernels with flour well.
- Coat them well as a sticky and lumpy coating will not make the corn crispy. Sprinkle drops of water if the flour is not sticking to the corn.
- Preheat the air fryer to 180°C for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the corn kernels to the tray lined with baking paper or aluminium foil.
- Spray the oil on the corn kernels.
- Set the air fryer to 180°C for 15 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes.
- Serve it and snack it! 🙂
Fried and munched? Let me know how it tastes in the comments below! Or share pictures of your food and hashtag #joogohome on Instagram and Facebook. 🙂
SAVE IT, PIN IT.
Disclaimer: JoogoStyle and Christina accepts no liability (whether in tort or contract or otherwise) for any loss or damage arising from any use, misuse, inaccuracy or omission of the information or other contents published on this website.