Easy Recipe: Bell Pepper Chicken Stir Fry
What colour of bell pepper should you use in this recipe? For my first try, I used yellow bell pepper. You can use a mix of red, yellow, and green bell peppers for a brightly coloured dish.
About Bell Peppers
Green, yellow and red bell peppers are the same type of pepper, just varying degrees of ripeness. Green peppers are unripe, red are fully ripe, and yellow in the middle spectrum of ripeness. The riper the bell peppers, the more vitamin C and beta-carotene there are.
Red peppers require more time to grow, and thus more expensive. They have sweeter and fruitier flavor though. On the other hand, since green bell peppers can be harvested sooner, they’re cheaper with its grassy, mildly bitter flavor.
Prep and Cook Time (Serves 2)
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 100 grams boneless chicken fillet (thigh or breast)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 75 grams bell peppers (capsicums)
- 1 tbsp Chinese wine (Shaoxing/Hua Tiao)
- Spring onions, chopped (optional as garnish)
Ingredients: Marinade Sauce
- 1/2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce to taste
- 3 dashes white pepper powder
- Cut chicken to bite size pieces.
- Chop 3 cloves of garlic and spring onions into small bits.
- Prepare Marinade sauce.
- Marinade chicken for at least half an hour or overnight in the fridge.
- Heat oil in wok.
- Stir-fry garlic awhile until aromatic.
- Add the marinaded chicken and stir-fry until fully cooked on surface (no longer pink).
- Then add bell peppers and Chinese wine.
- Stir fry over high heat for 1 minute.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve with rice.
Recipe inspired by Noobcook