Easy Recipe: Donburi, Buta Don (Pork Bowl)
One bowl recipe. Cook the rice. Cook the meat. Combine them together and serve. Easy peasy. 🙂
Prep and Cook Time (Serves 2)
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 200g pork belly shabu shabu*
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 of yellow/red bell pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp spring onions, chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsps cooking oil
*We bought “Porkee Frozen Pork – Belly Sukiyaki (400g)” for S$7.70 at NTUC. My hubby likes pork belly because it is a fattier part of the pig, however your toddler might prefer other parts, such as the collar.
Ingredients: Marinade Sauce / Seasoning
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin^
- 1 tbsp sake^
- 2 tsps sugar
- 2 tbsps water
^ You can replace mirin or sake with 1 tbsp of Hua Tiao cooking wine.
- Cook the rice.
- Cut onion into slices.
- Cut bell peppers into slices. (optional)
- Chop spring onions into small bits. (optional)
- Beat the eggs.
- Prepare Marinade sauce.
- Slice the pork strips into half.
- I only use 1/4 of the marinade sauce to marinade the pork slices. The rest is used as seasoning during cooking. Marinade for at least half an hour or overnight in the fridge.
- Heat up the oil and fry the onion till fragrant and slightly soft.
- Add in the bell peppers and stir fry until they are soft.
- Add the pork belly strips one by one and spread them out in the pan. This is to prevent the meat from clumping together.
- Fry for a few minutes till the meat is about 80% cooked.
- Add the seasoning/marinade, stir fry and mix well. Simmer for a minute.
- Add the beaten eggs and spring onions and simmer for another minute.
- Pour all on top of your steaming hot rice and serve immediately.
Recipe inspired by budgetpantry