BLW Series: Banana Oats Pancakes
Easy pancakes made with just three ingredients – oats, eggs and banana. These pancakes are ideal for baby led weaning (BLW) and finger food for toddlers. Soft to eat and really easy for babies to pick up with their hands.
These delicious pancakes make a healthy all day breakfast.
Prep and Cook Time (Serves 1-2)*
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 Egg
- 1 Ripe Medium Banana / 2 Small Bananas
- 1/2 cup of Rolled Oats^
- 1 cup of Pancake Mix, and 3/4 cup of Milk^^
- ~2 tbsp melted Butter
^ This is optional, but a great add to the pancakes. Oats is an awesome source of fibre with slow releasing complex carbs to fill up the little tummies.
^^ This is optional too. Or you can cut the amounts by half. I added this to make the pancakes more solid with form. Milk is required for my pancake mix.
- Mash the banana in a bowl.
- Add the egg and rolled oats into the bowl and mix them.
- Add 1 cup pancake mix, and 3/4 cup milk. Continue mixing.
- Heat a lightly greased (butter) griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat. I melt 1/2 tbsp of butter for each batch I cook. I can cook a few batches with the amount of ingredients above.
- Pour a portion of the mix of all the ingredients into the hot griddle or pan. Adjust the portion according to how big or small you want your pancakes to be.
- Cook until bubbly or slightly hardened on one side, then flip, and let cook until done. It takes about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately or store in your fridge or freezer. To reheat, fry again in a pan or warm in the microwave.
- Store in an airtight container and put in the fridge for up to 48 hours.
- You can also freeze them in the freezer. Stack them with a layer of parchment paper in between so they don’t stick to one another. Defrost and reheat as above.
- If your child doesn’t like much texture, you can blend the oats in a blender or food processor. The batter would be much finer without obvious bits of oats.
- To add more flavour, add a dash of vanilla extract tastes or finely chopped berries such as strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
Recipe inspired by www.myfussyeater.com/baby-weaning-pancakes-3-ingredients