One Dish: Chicken Stew
A simple one dish comfort food to serve with warm rice. It has a simple recipe, but I complicated it a bit with marinade and seasoning as suggested by cherienoms. This kids friendly recipe is easier to whip up than it seems!
Prep and Cook Time (Serves 2 adults)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 2 chicken thighs (1 for each pax), cut into bite size
- 1 medium potato
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 3 tbsp frozen green peas, thawed
- Cornflour mix (3 tsp cornflour with 6 tsp water)
Cornflour Mix (to thicken the gravy)
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 6 tsp water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- Dash of white pepper
- 2 tbsp of hot water
Marinade for Chicken
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3/4 tsp light soy sauce
- Dash of white pepper
- Thaw the frozen peas and chicken.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken. Cut into bite size.
- Prepare the cornflour mix, seasoning and marinade as above.
- Marinade the chicken for 15 minutes.
- Potato, celery and carrot, peel and cut into chunks.
- Tomato, cut into chunks.
- Onion, peel and chop into small chunks.
Sauté / Sear
- Heat up your frying pan / pressure cooker with some oil.
- Add in the marinated chicken. Stir fry till the chicken is no longer pink.
- For pressure cooker, press Sauté / Sear high temp, set cooking time for 5 minutes, and press start (do not close lid).
- Remove chicken from pan / pot.
- Add a little oil and stir fry onions until soften.
- For pressure cooker, press Sauté / Sear low temp, set cooking time for 5 minutes and press start (do not close lid).
- For stove, over low-medium heat.
- Continue the steps as follow.
- Add 375ml water in pressure cooker. For stovetop, add water to cover at least 1/2 of the ingredients.
- Add in seasoning.
- Add in the potatoes, celery, carrots, and chicken on top.
- Cook the stew:
- For pressure cooker, seal lid and cook on Meat / Poultry for 20 mins (25mins if you don’t want to add the tomatoes and cornflour mix to thicken later on.).
- For stovetop, bring all to boil and lower the heat to simmer until the meat and vegetables are soft (about 25 mins).
- Add in the thawed green peas just before the stew is fully cooked.
- Add tomato into the cooked stew, followed by the cornflour mix. The mixture will thicken after a few minutes.
- Continue to cook for another 5 minutes for pressure cooker, and 10 minutes for stovetop.
- Serve warm with a bowl of warm rice.
Compared to the picture perfect stew you saw in the opening, this is my homely version. Just so you know, it looks so much better than it looks though! 😉
Disclaimer: JoogoStyle and Christina accepts no liability (whether in tort or contract or otherwise) for any loss or damage arising from any use, misuse, inaccuracy or omission of the information or other contents published on this website.