Recipe: Steamed Tofu with Fish Paste
For lunch, I simply prepare rice and ‘Steamed Tofu with Fish Paste’ for baby Evangeline (~13mths) and myself to share. This saves me the hassle of preparing two sets of meal. For myself, I didn’t even need to add soy sauce for taste. The BoBo fish paste I bought for this dish was a tad too salty.
Prep and Cook Time (Serves 2)
Prep: 25 minutes to prepare ingredients.
Cook: 15 minutes to cook the dish.
Prepare Tofu and Fish Paste Mixture
- Mix 100g of Fish Paste* with 1/2 slab of Silken Tofu (for steaming)
- Optional: Add 1 beaten egg, sesame oil and pepper to taste into the mixture. Salt if fish paste is unsalted.
- Use a fork and mash the tofu with fish paste until it has pasty-like consistency.
*Add 1 tbsp of water if fish paste is dry.
Prepare Ingredients (Optional**)
All washed and finely chopped:
- Leafy vegetables
**I add these ingredients for Evangeline’s sake. These are not included in the original recipe.
For leafy vegetables, it’s whatever suitable for toddlers. We usually use Chinese Spinach (莧菜, Yin Choi, Bayam (Malay), Amaranth) or Wolfberry Shoots (Gao Gei Choi, 枸杞葉). For more about vegetables: stephysiology.blogspot.com/2012/01/from-dining-table-x-into-data-table.html
This is a photo of a half eaten dish. Much water was produced during the steaming.
- Spread the ‘Tofu and Fish Paste Mixture‘ evenly in a steaming bowl.
- For healthier choice: Add chopped leafy vegetables like Spinach, and grated carrot over the mixture.
- Steam for 10 minutes on high fire.